When I first started developing patient and provider education on ME/CFS/FM, post-viral illnesses and related conditions, I had no idea just how transformational one year could make in my role. The precedence placed on increasing the medical community’s understanding of these complex illnesses increased with urgency in light of the global pandemic.
I truly believe BHC is uniquely positioned to disseminate our knowledge gained from validated research and informed clinical outcomes. Now, more than ever, we have the ability to change the tide in medicine, fuel research, expand patient care, and give answers to those with new onset presentations, while simultaneously delivering hope and justice to those who have battled these illnesses for far too many years.
My work in 2021 will be to continue to expand our reach, develop meaningful resources for patients, care partners, and elevate the standard of care delivered to all patients through targeted and informed medical provider education. I ask that you help me in this journey. Be apart of our mission, and bring to life Dr. Bateman’s dream of ensuring every patient receives the care they deserve. Donate to our Mission Possible campaign.
Provider Education – Transforming Access to Improved Clinical Care
- Delivered direct provider education to over 400 healthcare professionals on concepts involving the diagnostic workup and management of individuals with ME/CFS, FM, post-viral syndromes, chronic pain & fatigue, and orthostatic intolerance syndromes.
- Reached medical providers across 15 states and 3 countries.
- Created and hosted COVID-related programming for medical providers, patients, and Long Haulers.
- Co-hosted and facilitated the 3rd annual U.S. ME/CFS Clinicians Coalition Summit (virtually) in May with 40+ health care providers.
- Facilitated and presented at the inaugural International Neuro ME/CFS Roundtable (virtually) in October with 20+ researchers and health care providers.
- Continued collaborative educational partnerships with Columbia, Cornell, Jackson Labs, Solve ME/CFS, ME Action, and others.
- Sponsored multiple student/interns and provider virtual mentoring.
- Expand reach of provider education to medical associations and schools.
- Curate healthcare provider education on post-viral syndromes and differential diagnosis.
- Develop education for patients and the medical community on pacing and post-exertional malaise.
- Cultivate more targeted resources on pain and FM management.
- Develop education specific to ME/CFS and FM comorbidities.
- Funding to sustain BHC’s educational program and its unique effort to reach providers, healthcare institutions, and provider associations.
- Funding for technology upgrades to provide higher quality broadcasts and capacity for higher quality interactive virtual education.
- Finding seed money to help launch an independent filmmaker’s quest to complete a documentary on the history and work of BHC.
Outreach and Support – Breaking the Isolation and Empowering Patients
- Co-hosted and facilitated the 3rd annual U.S. ME/CFS Clinicians Coalition Summit (virtual) in May with 40+ healthcare providers.
- Facilitated and presented at the inaugural International Neuro ME/CFS Roundtable (virtual) in October with 20+ researchers and healthcare providers.
- Rolled out updated BHC Website with enhanced offerings on COVID-19, crisis management, new patient and provider education sites, and special resources for youth, care partners, and persons with disabilities.
- Hosted monthly Lunch & Learn sessions (virtual) with international participation increasing average attendance 400%.
- Facilitated 36 ME/CFS and FM virtual support groups and provider chats with 1400+ total participants.
- Produced new audio/visual patient-specific assets.
- Surpassed 78,000 patient-specific YouTube education videos views across the United States and 30 countries.
- Co-sponsored and hosted Utah Millions Missing ME/CFS awareness event
- Support the programing and staff required to manage monthly support groups.
- Expand support resources for patients through the spectrum of age.
- Cultivate support resources for care partners and family/friends.