While there are many things we do not yet know about Long COVID, BHC’s years of clinical care and research experience can help inform healthcare professionals as they approach the diagnostic and managed care of those with post-viral illness presentation, PASC, and ME/CFS.
Ongoing (Live) CME Programs
Project ECHO utilizes case-based learning with short lectures to enable healthcare professionals to learn from one another through real-life case reviews and discussion.
Below are two ECHOs that offer live CME and address post-viral syndromes, long COVID, ME/CFS, and related comorbid conditions.
Long COVID & Post-Viral Syndrome
Bateman Horne Center has partnered with the University of Utah Health to conduct a Long COVID and Post-Viral Syndromes ECHO.
Applying what is known from other post-viral syndromes, such as ME/CFS, early and informed interventions ensure disease manageability and improved patient outcomes.
This program is reserved for healthcare professionals only. Recorded lectures have been made available to the public (below), and may also be accessed on BHC’s YouTube Provider Education Playlist.
Sign up and see the agenda through 2022.
Submit a patient case for review and receive expert recommendations from our mentor panel!
Long COVID & Fatiguing Illness Recovery Program
Family Health Centers of San Diego, Project ECHO, University of Washington and University of Colorado have collaborated to provide a CDC-funded monthly learning session. The aim of the webinar-style program is to rapidly disseminate post-acute Sequelae of COVID-19 and Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome findings and emerging best practices
This large-scale national monthly ECHO webinar series will offer didactic presentations by subject matter experts, examples of emerging best practices and models of care and a facilitated Q&A.
Register for the monthly series!
Access past session recordings, slides, and shared resources.
- Overview of PACS, ME/CFS, OPIFI (January 2022)
- Neurocognitive Manifestations of Post-COVID Conditions (February 2022)
- Pulmonary Manifestations of Post-COVID Conditions (March 2022)
- Autonomic/Cardiac Manifestations of Post-COVID Conditions (April 2022)
- History of ME/CFS (May 2022)
- Patient Perspective: Understanding What Isn’t Understood (June 2022)
- Practical Strategies for Symptom Management (July 2022)
- Physical Therapy & Post-COVID Conditions (August 2022)
- Pediatric Post-COVID Conditions (September 2022)
- Research Update (October 2022)
Assessment & Management of PASC
Many of the following resources reflect guidance on how to approach the assessment and care management of ME/CFS, which will assist in supporting patients with other post-viral syndromes such as long-COVID.
- CDC Interim Guidance: Evaluating & Caring for Patients with Post-COVID Conditions
- AAPM&R: Long COVID (PASC) Guidance
- AAPM&R: Assessment & Treatment of Fatigue in PASC
- AAPM&R: Assessment and treatment of cardiovascular complications in PASC
- AAPM&R: Multi-disciplinary collaborative consensus guidance statement on the assessment and treatment of postacute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection (PASC) in children and adolescents
Utilizing the diagnostic & treatment blueprint for ME/CFS to inform PASC management
- Mayo Clinic Proceedings: ME/CFS: Essentials of Diagnosis and Management
- US ME/CFS Clinician Coalition: Testing Recommendations for Suspected ME/CFS
- US ME/CFS Clinician Coalition: ME/CFS Treatment Recommendations
- BHC: Assessing & Managing Aspects of ME/CFS
- Frontiers: Will COVID-19 Lead to Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Doctors With M.E. Putting it into Practice: What NICE ME/CFS means for GPs
- Post COVID-19 Fatigue, Post/Long COVID-19 Syndromes & Post-COVID ME/CFS
- Caring for People with Severe ME/CFS (letter to providers)
- Healthcare: Caring for the Patient with Severe or Very Severe Myalgic/Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Orthostatic Intolerance (basics, symptoms, interventions)
- Assessing Orthostatic Intolerance: 10-Minute NASA Lean Test (provider instructions)
- Mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS): video, slides
- Post-Exertional Malaise (PEM)
- Teach Pacing!!
- ME/CFS Crash Survial Guidebook
- Workwell Foundation: PEM Patient Handout
- Frontiers in Neurology: Characterization of post-exertional malaise in patients with ME/CFS
- Clinical Presentation of Long COVID Subset Similar to ME/CFS (16 min)
- What is ME/CFS? (diagnostic criteria- 6 min)
- What is Orthostatic Intolerance in ME/CFS Part 1 (assessment- 6 min)
- What is Orthostatic Intolerance in ME/CFS Part 2 (management -5 min)
- Addressing Orthostatic Intolerance in ME/CFS (13 min)
Patient Support: Disability & Networks
Disability & Accommodations
COVID-19 & Post-COVID Considerations in Children and Teens
- American Academy of Pediatrics Offers Guidance in Caring for Children After COVID-19 Infection
- CDC Evaluating and Caring for Patients with Post-COVID Conditions (Interim Guidance)
- Post-COVID-19 Conditions in Children and Adolescents
- Interim Guidance on Integrating and Supporting the Emotional and Behavioral Health Needs of Children, Adolescents, and Families Affected During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Caring for Children with Special Health Care Needs During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Information for Healthcare Providers about Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C)
- Long-Haul COVID-19 in Children and Teens
- Utah Strong Recovery Project: Counseling for COVID-Related Stress
- Intermountain Health: COVID-19 Emotional Health Relief Hotline
- Body Politic: COVID-19 Support Group
- University of Utah Health College of Nursing: Caring Connections (COVID-19 grief & recovery support group)
- BHC bi-monthly support groups for those with ME/CFS, FM, Long COVID and related comorbid conditions.
- Held on the second and third Tuesdays of every month from 1-2 pm, Mountain Time.
- See the event calendar for registration details.