While there are many things we do not yet know about long COVID, BHC’s years of clincial care and research experience can help inform patients and healthcare professionals as they approach the diagnostic and managed care of those with post-viral illness presentation.
Long COVID Resources
Bateman Horne Center joined 49 new partners in the fight to return millions of Americans to health. The Long COVID Alliance launched by Solve ME/CFS Initiative, is a network of patient-advocates, scientists, disease and public health experts, and drug developers, who have joined together to leverage our collective knowledge and resources to educate policy makers and accelerate research to transform our understanding of post-infectious illness.
Medical Provider Resources
Long COVID & Post-Viral Illness Resources for Healthcare Professionals
- Will COVID-19 Lead to Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Frontiers in Medicine, 2021)
- US ME/CFS Clinician Coalition Letter: Post-COVID “Long Haulers” and ME/CFS (October 2020)
- Long COVID: Doctors must assess and investigate patients properly (The BMJ)
- Post COVID-19 Fatigue, Post/Long COVID-19 Syndromes & Post-COVID ME/CFS (Dr. Charles Shepherd)
Diagnostic and Management Resources for suspected: ME/CFS, fibromyalgia, and related comorbid conditions:
- BHC’s Guidance on Assessing & Managing Aspects of ME/CFS
- Testing Recommendations for Suspected ME/CFS (US ME/CFS Clinician Coalition, 2021)
- ME/CFS Treatment Recommendations (US ME/CFS Clinician Coalition, 2021)
- Basics of Diagnosis & Treatment of ME/CFS (US ME/CFS Clinician Coalition, 2020)
- Assessing Orthostatic Intolerance: NASA 10 Minute Lean Test (provider instructions)
- What is ME/CFS? (diagnostic criteria- 6 minute video)
- What is Orthostatic Intolerance in ME/CFS Part 1 (assessment- 6 min video)
- What is Orthostatic Intolerance in ME/CFS Part 2 (management -5 minute video)
- University of Utah Health Project ECHO COVID-19 Series (August 2020)
The following resources are not intended to serve as, or replace, the medical care provided by the healthcare team(s) serving those with long COVID.
These resources have been developed for those with ME/CFS, FM and related conditions. However, they may aid those experiencing Long COVID symptoms as they work with their care team on assessment and ongoing management options.
- Common Comorbid Conditions: long COVID, ME/CFS/FM, & Post-Viral Illnesses (March 2021)
- Long COVID event with BHC (October 2020)
- Utah Long Hauler’s and BHC webinar (October 2020)
- Activity Intolerance, PEM, & Pacing PEM (40 min video)
- Orthostatic Intolerance (34 min video)
- Restorative Sleep (27 min video)
- Cognitive Impairment (19 min video)
While the following videos are geared towards medical professionals, patients and their families have found them to be an insightful tool to share with their providers when assessing for ME/CFS and orthostatic intolerance (OI).
The unexpected physical and life changes associated with long COVID and chronic illness are challenging. The following resources serve to connect you with others and offer hope.
Connect with others
- Utah Strong Recovery Project: Counseling for COVID-Related Stress
- Intermountain Health: COVID-19 Emotional Health Relief Hotline
- Body Politic: COVID-19 Support Group
- University of Utah Health College of Nursing: Caring Connections (COVID-19 grief & recovery support group)
- BHC bi-monthly support groups for those with ME/CFS/FM, long COVID and related comorbid conditions.
- Held on the second and third Tuesdays of every month from 1-2pm, Mountain Time.
- See the event calendar for registration details.