While there are many things we do not yet know about Long COVID, BHC’s years of clincial care and research experience can help inform patients and healthcare professionals as they approach the diagnostic and managed care of those with post-viral illness presentation.
Long COVID Resources
Bateman Horne Center joined over 80 partners in the fight to find answers for Long COVID and post-viral illness. The Long COVID Alliance launched by Solve ME/CFS Initiative, is a network of patient-advocates, scientists, disease and public health experts, and drug developers, who have joined together to leverage our collective knowledge and resources to educate policy makers and accelerate research to transform our understanding of post-infectious illness.
For more on diagnostic and care management resources, please see the long COVID/PASC page designed for healthcare professionals.
NOTE: The following resources are not intended to serve as, or replace, the medical care provided by the healthcare providers serving those with Long COVID.
These resources have been developed for those with ME/CFS, FM and related conditions. However, they may aid those experiencing Long COVID symptoms as they work with their care team on assessment and ongoing management options.
Disability and Accommodations
Videos and Handouts
- The Clinical Presentation of Long COVID Subset Similar to ME/CFS (Nov. 2021)
- Addressing Orthostatic Intoleralce in ME/CFS (Nov. 2021)
- Common Comorbid Conditions: Long COVID, ME/CFS/FM, & Post-Viral Illnesses (March 2021)
- Long COVID event with BHC (Oct. 2020)
- Utah Long Hauler’s and BHC webinar (Oct. 2020)
- Activity Intolerance, PEM, & Pacing PEM (40 min video)
- Orthostatic Intolerance (34 min video)
- Restorative Sleep (27 min video)
- Cognitive Impairment (19 min video)
- Post-COVID Care-Interim CDC Guidance (June 2021, website)
- US ME/CFS Clinician Coalition COVID-19 Long Hauler Considerations Letter
- ME/CFS Crash Survival Guidebook (BHC)
- PEM Pacing Handout (Workwell Foundation)
- Pacing & Management Guide (#MEAction)
- Health Assessment Worksheet
- Orthostatic Intolerance (basics, symptoms, interventions)
- 10-Minute NASA Lean Test – Patient preparation (provider instructions above)
- Four Key Questions About Long COVID (June 2021)
While the following videos are geared towards medical professionals, patients and their families have found them to be an insightful tool to share with their providers when assessing for ME/CFS and orthostatic intolerance (OI).
COVID-19 and Post-COVID Considerations in Children and Teens
- American Academy of Pediatrics Offers Guidance in Caring for Children After COVID-19 Infection
- CDC Evaluating and Caring for Patients with Post-COVID Conditions (Interim Guidance)
- Post-COVID-19 COnditions in Children and Adolescents
- Interim Guidance on Integrating and Supporting the Emotional and Behavioral Health Needs of Children, Adolescents, and Families Affected During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Caring for Children with Special Health Care Needs During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Information for Healthcare Providers about Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C)
- Long-Haul COVID-19 in Children and Teens
The unexpected physical and life changes associated with Long COVID and chronic illness are challenging. The following resources serve to connect you with others and offer hope.
Connect with others
- Utah Strong Recovery Project: Counseling for COVID-Related Stress
- Intermountain Health: COVID-19 Emotional Health Relief Hotline
- Body Politic: COVID-19 Support Group
- University of Utah Health College of Nursing: Caring Connections (COVID-19 grief & recovery support group)
- BHC bi-monthly support groups for those with ME/CFS, FM, Long COVID and related comorbid conditions.
- Held on the second and third Tuesdays of every month from 1-2 pm, Mountain Time.
- See the event calendar for registration details.