Even though the world’s attention is on COVID-19, BHC’s continued commitment to clinical care, research and education for our ME/CFS and FM community remains unwavering. Because our community’s well-being is central to all we do, we have compiled a list of resources and education aimed at keeping you informed and prepared during this difficult time.
References Available to Download
Personal Guidance and Decision Making
- Shelter at home. Limit your exposure to others and adhere to the CDC’s recommended precautions.
- Be diligent in your adherence to practicing good hygiene.
- Testing does not equate to treatment. A positive test can only lead to medical advice and prioritization of care based on illness severity. Currently, most treatment is “supportive.”
- More aggressive interventions are only needed if symptoms worsen to the point that hospital admission is required for fluids, oxygen, and possibly ICU admission with likelihood of intubation and ventilation.
- In emergency situations individuals with ME/CFS/FM should engage in the highest quality medical interventions for the respective emergency medical condition. If you get sick, don’t try to manage COVID-19 for your doctors.
- Drug treatment is rapidly becoming more available for the most severely ill with COVID-19. These treatments might lead to improvement for ME/CFS.
- Advance Directives: Everyone, not just those with ME/CFS, should document end-of-life wishes on paper regarding aggressive medical care in a life-threatening situation. Discuss with family and medical professionals as needed.
Trusted Sites for Information
- The World Health Organization
- The Center for Disease Control (CDC.gov)
- The National Institute of Health
- State and County Health Department Sites
Helpful Links from the CDC
- What to do if you are sick
- Get Your Household Ready for COVID 19
- Get Your Home Ready
- Environmental Cleaning & Disinfection Recommendations
- State & Territorial Health Department Websites
- Virology 101, with Suzanne D. Vernon, PhD
- Prepare to Respond, with Linda Milne, Emergency Preparedness Specialist
BHC Address on COVID 19
Part I. Awareness & Preparedness
Part II. Shelter-in-Place
Coronavirus Update- Anthony Fauci, MD
With JAMA Editor in Chief, Howard Bauchner, MD — March 18, 2020
Coronavirus (COVID-19) & ME/CFS- Nancy Klimas, MD
March 13, 2020
How to See Germs Spread, by Mark Rober, approved by the CDC