At the Bateman Horne Center, empowering patients to find their strongest voice and live their best life is the first and most important component of our mission. It is why we do all that we do. Advancing research and improving clinical care wouldn’t mean as much if we didn’t first and foremost strive to strengthen community and share the beauty of the human spirit that lives within all impacted by ME/CFS and Fibromylagia.
With the Patient Voice, we want to build a special place online for members of our community to share their stories. Our goal is to highlight the strength, joy, humor and beauty that can be found in a life changed by ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia. Our goal is to lift your voice a little higher and help your story be heard loud and clear.
This is only possible thanks to our community of contributors. Together we are building a special place online where we can completely inspire and support one another.
Why we need your submissions:
There’s often so much fear and misunderstanding with ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia. Our goal is to highlight the strength, joy and beauty in your life by featuring real stories, poems or art from people just like you. We want to de-stigmatize these diseases and show people facing a life after diagnosis that they are not alone. Everything you share with us brings us closer to that goal.
What makes a great submission?
Our strongest stories come from the unforgettable moments in your life:
- An off-hand remark from a stranger that brightened your day
- The first time you felt truly included or understood
- When a stranger showed you incredible kindness in a difficult situation
- A photo, piece of artwork, a performance or beautiful view that changed your perspective
- The moment you experienced negativity or adversity but were able to respond with grace, education or in any way that made you feel empowered
But the best submissions are about more than ME/CFS or Fibromyalgia. They include themes everyone can relate to — kindness, inclusion, acceptance, growth, struggles, challenges and so much more. They inspire people to think about situations and interactions differently. They offer perspectives you don’t see many other places. They’re less about your journey and more about the moments that mirror so many people’s journeys.
Periodically we’ll post a topic intended to spark just those kinds of submissions, but you can submit on any topic at any time. We also welcome your topic idea submissions.
Email your topic ideas and all submissions to [email protected]
A few guidelines to follow:
- Try to keep stories between 400 to 800 words.
- Include at least one photo with each post.
- For first-time contributors, send a brief bio (1 to 4 sentences) and a photo we can include with your profile. We will keep it on hand for future submissions so you only need to send this in once.
- We will accept previously published blog posts, poetry or photographs of artwork that was previously created
- Present your opinions or beliefs as such, rather than as facts. If you do cite facts within your story, please provide a link to a credible source for that information.
Send all submissions
and story ideas to
Please note that we reserve the right to edit stories and their titles for length, clarity and our own editorial guidelines (this might mean your title will change or certain language could be removed.) If we feel we’ve made significant enough changes or altered your original tone, we’ll run it by you first. We never want to misrepresent your voice or message.
Unfortunately, we can’t publish every submission we receive. Please don’t interpret this as us not seeing the value in what you submit. Your story, poem, picture or art has tremendous value, regardless of whether we publish it on our site or not. Keep chasing your strongest voice!